Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Final Move (Again.)

In my previous post I complain about not having posted in three years. That was five years ago. Well! I was having my second session with my mental health professional last Wednesday, and she assigned homework: updating my blogs. Let the homework begin.

A year and a half ago (that's the summer of '18 to you and me) I began whining that I don't get to have any fun, never get a break from my full time job of caring for the four other mammals in my family. Carmen, at the same time, was going through a crisis in her full time job. The solution: we bought a condo in Jacksonville and moved again.

It started out simply enough. We were going to rent an Air B&B over Thanksgiving week and visit our friends who live in Jax, St Augustine and Port Orange. Another friend was flying from Virginia to spend a few days with all of us. And I was assured that I would have some time off from all the beasties. While we were making plans for our first actual vacation since 2001, we became interested in the idea of spending our golden years near our friends we've had for thirty years. So in September, we drove down from Nashville and went on a three-day tour of available properties with a local realtor. In October, our Jax friends looked at a condo they thought we'd like. Carmen flew down to look at it, and made an offer on it. By the middle of November it was ours (and the Bank's.)

So instead of a leisurely drive in the Subaru together, it became a Subaru with her and the dawg and the vacation stuff, plus me in a 16 foot Penske moving truck with the first load of stuff. My vacay included loading and unloading the truck. Carmen helped.

The days at the Air B&B were great. And Carmen even stayed with the dog while I went on a St. Augustine Holiday Lights Tour with our girlfriends. Another friend had Thanksgiving dinner with us. A splendid time was had by all. When it was time for Carmen to go back to work, I stayed at the condo for a few more days to line up the electrician (another friend in Jax) and the painter to get some work done before we moved the rest of our stuff. I drove a rented 2019 Nissan Rogue back to Nashville - well, I was in the vehicle, but it was clear that I was not the one driving.

Next came fast and furious packing of everything but the washer and dryer, an inflatable mattress and one of our camp chairs. Carmen would be staying in Nashville until April while I lived in the Jax condo. Otherwise, we would be paying insurance on an unoccupied dwelling!

A year ago, the middle of January, 2019, we hired loaders in Nashville and unloaders in Jacksonville, rented a 24 foot truck with a bench seat for two cat carriers plus me, and got 'er loaded up. Once again, I drove the truck and Carmen drove the Subaru with the dawg.

The most interesting story of that move is about Whitney, a tall, muscular black woman who ran her own moving business. She and two little skinny men who were obviously totally intimidated by her, unloaded that whole truck in less than four hours. Most impressive was the roll-top desk, a massive oak thing that was going upstairs. Whitney strapped that giant heavy chunk of wood to herself and hauled it up the steps while her assistants scrambled to try to help. One thing was crystal clear: pissing Whitney off was a bad idea!

So now, for the most part, we were moved. I was, anyway. Carmen went back to get the Nashville condo sold and finish out her job obligations. One more POD load came down with the washer and dryer and some miscellaneous stuff. Meanwhile, I researched the Jacksonville Transportation Authority and discovered that geezers over 65 get a FREE PASS for all public transportation!

Hanging with our friends is part of our routine these days. We attend theatrical productions and other cultural events with friends or just the two of us. Carmen is really happy with her new career as a hospital chaplain. I'm exploring our new neighborhood with da dawg. And I've even gone fishing a couple of times.
 
Jacksonville is a good place to live.




No comments:

Post a Comment